Time Machine Question

Discussion in 'macOS' started by aznguy2772, Jan 11, 2008.

1. aznguy2772 macrumors member

Guys, for a month now, it's so annoying to update my Time Machine because my computer doesn't want to back up automatically. In the place under System Preferences-->Time Machine, where it says Next Backup: There's no time or date. It's just a couple of dashes. I can fix it by turning disconnecting my external HD, turning off TIme Machine, turning it back on, and then connect the HD again. But that's not how it's supposed to work. Anyone else having this problem?

2. LaJaca macrumors regular

LaJaca

Haven't heard of this yet, but I don't necessarily read every posting either. What external HD are you using? Has it been used for anything before? Can you find the prior backups on it when you click on Time Machine?

3. adjei7 macrumors member

May be something to do with the way you formatted your TM drive. If it wasn't formatted, it may be acting up a bit. May be an overkill, but it may be worth a reformat.

Could also be a permissions error. You could try a repair or a verify through disk utility to see if there are any issues with that. Would try doing this first before the above suggestion, which would be a last resort.

Hope that helps.

K

4. Zenith macrumors 6502

Zenith

I noticed this problem as well one day, and when I connected the power cable it started backuping again. When battery level is lower than a certain percentage Time Machine deactivates itself in order to keep away from the risk of losing data when the battery runs flat.

5. adjei7 macrumors member

Makes sense.