Time Machine Question.

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by adauge, Jan 20, 2008.

1. adauge macrumors regular

adauge

I'm running out of room on my 250gb macbook hard drive and have decided to move the more than 100gb of video to an external hdd. If I have the external hooked up to my macbook at the time time machine does a backup will it back up my videos from that hdd? I was thinking it probably only backs up the macbook hdd but it would be nice if it would back up my videos too.

2. r.j.s Moderator emeritus

r.j.s

I think, by default, TM ignores external drives, but if you tell it to not exclude that drive and then do a manual backup - it SHOULD do what you want it to. If I understand what you want correctly.

3. adauge thread starter macrumors regular

adauge

Ok thanks. I want it to do a back up of all drives connected to my computer. I moved all of my movies and tv shows from itunes to an external drive so I want time machine to back that up along with my macbook internal hdd.

4. happydude macrumors 65816

happydude

another time machine question

is there any way to back up an external (that isn't time capsule) over your network. for example, i have an airport express and an external. can i use those?

5. adauge thread starter macrumors regular

adauge

It seems that moving all of my movies and tv shows to an external hdd isn't really working anyway. I moved them all over to the external and added the folders from the external to my itunes library. Then I had two of every episode in my itunes library because I hadn't deleted the episodes from my internal hdd.

So I deleted those folders and I deleted all of the duplicates from my itunes library and when I woke up this morning magically the movies and tv show folders were back in my itunes folder on my internal hdd and after I deleted them again itunes couldn't find the source of the videos until I told it where it was on the external hdd.

I know this may sound really confusing but does anyone know where I went wrong. Does anyone use an external hdd to put their itunes content on and can walk me through how they did it. I'm a little bit frustrated right now because of how long it took me to do all of this and I've gotten nowhere.

6. adauge thread starter macrumors regular

adauge

Ok never mind. I see what I was doing wrong there but now my question is this. Can I have itunes somehow keep my music on my internal hdd but my movies on my external?