Time Machine Question

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by lamina, Mar 31, 2008.

1. lamina macrumors 68000

lamina

Why can't I backup with Time Machine initially over USB, then do it wirelessly? My backup is about 97GB, and that would take unacceptably long over our G network, even if I did it overnight.

So, I've done the initial backup via USB, but when I have the Time Machine drive plugged into the USB port of the iMac, it will try to do a new backup via a sparse disk image. The USB backup is its own folder.

Any ideas? I would really love to get TM working over wireless again. I did it before with my PowerBook, but that backup was significantly smaller.

2. HLdan macrumors 603

HLdan

I'm assuming you meant that you were plugging in an external drive first via USB on the iMac then on the USB port of the Airport Extreme? You didn't mention about the Airport.
    If you are connecting wirelessly through the Airdisk only Time Capsule has the ability to plug in directly to the iMac for the initial backup then wirelessly after that without creating a new Sparsebundle.

Apple has not officially announced support for Airdisk and at this point this may be one of the features of the Time Capsule that separates itself from connecting an external HDD via Airdisk.

3. mackindergarten macrumors 6502

Hi,

I think this will help you.

Hope it does.
    /Rupert

4. lamina thread starter macrumors 68000

lamina

Thanks for the replies.

I just plugged it in, let it do another backup, and it backed up to the sparse image. Works over wireless now. There's no airport involved, just a regular wireless router connecting the iMac to my MacBook. Works great now.

Thanks!