Time Machine Question

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by divedeepfl305, Apr 11, 2008.

1. divedeepfl305 macrumors newbie

Hello I currently have a MBP backing up to time capsule via time machine. I am expecting an IMac when I set it up can I restore from time machine on that machine. Will it look and have the applications of my MBP? Also if I do any changes to the IMac and try to time machine will it overwrite my MBP backup?

If you all Mac experts can help I will appreciate it.

2. FJ218700 macrumors 68000

FJ218700

when the iMac arives and you turn it on. setup assisstant will get you connected to the internet then ask if you want to import user accounts/apps/setttings. One of the choices wil be to inpoirt from a time machine backup. For a faster transfer process, make sure the iMac is connected to time capsule via the LAN out rather than wirelessly.

3. divedeepfl305 thread starter macrumors newbie

Another thing

Ok thanks for clearing that up another thing though once it is all setup and I do a new time machine backup on the IMac will it delete the existing MBP setting on time capsule and time machine since I imported all its settings at setup?

4. FJ218700 macrumors 68000

FJ218700

no it should not delete it. Time machine uses the MAC hardware address to differentitate computers so another time machine volume should be made in parallel.. To be safe though, I would make sure the new computer has a different name (sharing prefs) before initiating the first time machine backup.

5. divedeepfl305 thread starter macrumors newbie

Ok great

Thanks for the quick response!! Can't wait for fed ex to knock on the door now!!

6. Latro macrumors member

Once you get your new computer. Control + Click (Right Click) on Time Machine and select Browse Other Time Machine Disks.

You can select your MBP Time Machine Disk and restore what ever files/apps you want.

Quick and Simple way to sync your notebook with your desktop.