Time Machine question?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by timimbo85, May 16, 2008.

1. timimbo85 macrumors regular

timimbo85

Hello, so I just purchased a external HD it holds 350 Gigs. I hooked it up to my MBP and set it up so it would work with TM. After all the transfer was complete it said there was only 160Gs left. I am a designer and I know its great to have my work backed up. But I feel it would be better if I just backed it up myself and saved a crap load of extra space? Does the updates keep using more memory? Will it eventually fill up?

This I am sure is an easy answer, but I just want to hear some input.

Thanks

2. wrldwzrd89 macrumors G5

wrldwzrd89

Yes, your drive will fill up eventually. This is normal with Time Machine - the first backup is the biggest, and subsequent backups will be much smaller. Once the drive runs out of space, Time Machine will tell you that it is going to delete old backups to make room.

Also, you're confusing memory with hard drive space. They are not the same thing. Backups consume hard drive space but not memory.

3. wordmunger macrumors 603

wordmunger

You can also go into your settings and specify what not to back up. For example if you have old projects that you're keeping around for convenience but you also have them backed up on DVD, you might tell TM not to back those up. Or you might decide not to back up applications if have all your original install disks.

4. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Time Machine backups

:apple: Time Machine is a simple, but not highly efficient means of backing up your files. It makes complete copies of your data... not just the changes. Yes, it will continue to grow until it consumes all available space. While there are settings you can adjust, a better approach would be to manually backup your data on a regular basis.

:apple: Syncing your bookmarks, calenders, contacts, dock items, keychains, etc. to .Mac is a good protection if you lost your Mac. As far as all your files, get an external hard drive and periodically drag and drop your Document folders and any other data onto the external drive. To keep this simple, keep all your user data in one place, such as Documents. It also helps to create a simple text file where you list the applications you've added, tweaks you've made, complete with URL links to download those apps or tweaks. Back up this file on the external drive and email it to yourself, so a copy is always in your email. Web backups like Gspace are good choices, too.

:apple: I wanted portability, so my external drive is a 200GB 7200rpm drive from OWC, which matches the specs on my MBP. It's screamin' fast via Firewire 800, but can also be accessed with Firewire 400 or USB. Here's the link:

:apple: http://eshop.macsales.com/item/Other World Computing/MS8U7200GB16/

:apple: No, you won't have the slick looking interface of Time Machine and no, you won't be able to scroll through the past two weeks of changes, but you also won't burn up drive space needlessly. Hope this helps! :cool:

5. timimbo85 thread starter macrumors regular

timimbo85