Time Machine Question

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by ravikc, Dec 7, 2008.

1. ravikc Guest

hey guys ...i have a macbook pro that I was about to enable time machine on..my question is simple..how exactly does it work considering that the drive will not be connected 90% of the time?

I have a macpro that I have time machine on and I have used time machine editor to do daily backups rather than hourly...I wanted to know ..if on the laptop will it just backup when i plug it in...or do i need to disable time machine when its not plugged in so its not eating up resources attempting to backup?

appreciate the help..

2. EricNau Moderator emeritus

EricNau

It will only attempt to backup with the Time Machine drive is attached.

3. thejadedmonkey macrumors 604

thejadedmonkey

Just curious, why did you change it to do daily instead of hourly?

4. kfordham281 macrumors 6502

Just plug the drive in when you need to back up. Then you don't even need to use the Time Machine Editor. I only plug my drive in a few times a week to do my backups.

5. ravikc thread starter Guest

honestly i thought it was just overkill - i dont need hourly backups at all..honestly i can probably get away with weekly backups..i also got annoyed at hearing my external every hour spinning...now i have it set to do one daily backup at 3am when im asleep - no worries..have had it running like this for a few months now

6. ravikc thread starter Guest

okay great - thanks