Time machine question.

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Kronie, Mar 17, 2009.

1. Kronie macrumors 6502a

Kronie

So apple is sending me a replacement UMBP. I'm keeping the current one until the replacement arrives and then using a time machine backup on the new one.

My time machine backup will restore the new laptop with all the old laptops files, programs, preferences, emails, everything as the old laptop's drive was without having to reinstall everything? Correct?

I guess I could always swap drives as well, that might be quicker.

2. BlueRevolution macrumors 603

BlueRevolution

Correct, although I suggest using Carbon Copy Cloner instead. It will allow you to restore the backup without the OS X installer.

3. Kronie thread starter macrumors 6502a

Kronie

Whats the benefit of restoring without the OSX installer?

I have a cloned drive as well but it's the same amount of time either way, isn't it? I mean its not any quicker to use CCC than the OSX installer is it?

4. BlueRevolution macrumors 603

BlueRevolution

It is faster, yes. When you restore from the OS X disks, you need to download all of the patches again. If memory serves, the 10.5.6 combined update alone is something in the order of 600 MB.

5. Kronie thread starter macrumors 6502a

Kronie

So with C.C.C. I need to boot up on the cloned drive and then erase>clone the drive within the MacBook Pro? Then just boot up normally on the internal drive?

6. BlueRevolution macrumors 603

BlueRevolution

Yes. You can clone from the currently running boot drive onto another drive, which is how you would get the data on there and how you would get it off again once you have your new computer.