Time machine question

Discussion in 'macOS' started by PaperMacWriter, Jun 16, 2009.

1. PaperMacWriter macrumors 6502

PaperMacWriter

I am currently helping my grandmother set up her new MacBook Pro, and I had a question for backups. She got the standard high end 13", which comes with a 250GB HDD. I know that this is too small for her photo collection, and want to help her add a new one. I am planning on getting a 500GB HDD do-it-yourself from OWC, and using the old drive to store her seldom accessed files. Here's my question: can time machine backup both drives to a larger 1.5TB drive? TIA!
    SG :apple:

2. PaperMacWriter thread starter macrumors 6502

PaperMacWriter

Well, I never got an answer to this so I figured I'd try again, seeing as I'll be seeing her again in a few months.
    Thanks!
    Stan

3. BobZune macrumors 6502a

Time Machine can back up multiple drives *to* ONE drive, so the answer is YES.

[For restoring in case the second drive (500GB) fails, you may have to name new drive the same as the original 2nd drive. I have not verified this, though. This doesn't appear to hold true for the drive/partition containing the OS.]

Precious photos/data should be archived, preferably off site (in addition to being backed up).