Time Machine Question

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Jigsawjammer, Jul 30, 2009.

1. Jigsawjammer macrumors regular

Hey- I just have a quick question.
    I'm about to set up time machine but was wondering something. If I have a folder on my computer with docs then say I remove it- will it be on the time machine backup after a few months or what I'm hoping-forever. I'm assuming after time machine fills the drive and needs to start going over files- if the folder isn't there then it will be overwritten- yes?

2. Shake 'n' Bake macrumors 68020

Shake 'n' Bake

TM keeps everything until the drive fills up, then it asks to delete some old backups when the drive is full.

3. -tWv- macrumors 68000

-tWv-

The larger drive you have, the longer time backups will be able to be stored. But when the drive completely fills up, it will start deleting the oldest backups first to clear out space. So if you want to keep files for a long period of time. How big is your internal HD and how big is your external? The external is supposed to be at least 1.5x the internal. But if you want to keep backups for a longer time, then I would suggest getting a bigger drive.

4. Jigsawjammer thread starter macrumors regular

The external is 500 GB and internal is 160GB. I 'm taking a Windows formated HDD and puting it in an enclosure. I wanted to run Time Machine to reformat it and do a backup. I would like the option to have an area where I could just drag files to be permanantly stored and a certain section to back up with time machine prob weekly. Is that possible?

5. TuffLuffJimmy macrumors G3

TuffLuffJimmy

You need to partition your hard drive to be able to that.

6. Jigsawjammer thread starter macrumors regular

I've never done this on my Macs so could you tell me a little bit of the process?
    How do I reformat the drive to be now Mac in an external enclosure- make a partition- then have time machine only record to a partition?

Thanks in advance

7. misterredman macrumors 6502a

misterredman

You need to use Disk Utility.

Follow the instructions here:

http://kb.iu.edu/data/ajxz.html

Better is to change the Partition scheme too, if you plan on using the hard drive on a mac only (GUID if you have an intel mac).

8. Jigsawjammer thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks for that.
    New question- will my MBP be able to see a windows formated hard drive in the enclosure so I can format it? Also- do I have to delete the windows part of the drive?

9. misterredman macrumors 6502a

misterredman

Yes, you won't have any problem seeing the hard drive in Disk Utility, whatever the formatting or partitioning.

What do you mean with the "windows part of the drive"?

You will also be able to format one of partitions for windows (the formatting is called MS-DOS in Disk Utility), in case you need to keep using it with a pc. The nice thing is that you will be able to access that partition from the mac too.

10. Jigsawjammer thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks for the help- I'm going to try this tomorrow.

11. Jigsawjammer thread starter macrumors regular

OK- I put the windows formatted HDD in the enclosure and hooked it up to my MBP but there is no information for it in disk utility- someone please help...

12. misterredman macrumors 6502a

misterredman

Are you sure the drive is working fine with your pc? Are you sure the enclosure is working?

And you have to provide more informations if you want to get more help. What kind of HD? What kind of enclosure? What for a model?

13. Jigsawjammer thread starter macrumors regular

I'm sure the drive is fine because I backed up everything off it right before I took it out. I also put it back in the PC to see what I could do to delete it.
    The HDD is a WD Caviar (spelling?) 500GB drive that I bought 3 years ago. There is probably 200 hours of use on the drive so it should be ok as a backup.
    The enclosure is a POS I got off eBay just your standard 3.5" sata enclosure. It seems to work because it lights up but I guess that doesn't mean anything. I was thinking of buying the Macally that looks like a macpro instead suspecting that this cheapo enclosure I bought was a bad idea.
    Either way- I should see the drive no matter what though- right? The drive is formatted NTFS and macs can read but can't write so it must be the enclosure I assume or could it be something else?
    Thanks

14. misterredman macrumors 6502a

misterredman

Well, the drive should show up under Disk Utility, regardless of the formatting.

As you said NTFS drives should be visible in OS X directly and be readable.

There could be many reasons for it not working:
    -hard drive broken (if it was working just before in the PC, it's quite improbable)
    -broken enclosure (you should try to test this one with another drive)
    -broken USB (you didn't mention the interface) port on your mac (use another one or test with another USB device)
    -enclosure doesn0t provide enough power to the drive

By the way, is the enclosure powered with an AC adapter? And do you hear the drive spinning when you connect it?

15. Jigsawjammer thread starter macrumors regular

The drive is back in the PC working- the enclosure is wall powered but I don't hear any HDD noise when connected. My USB connections are ok because my flash drive work properly in them. What you think- enclosure then?

16. misterredman macrumors 6502a

misterredman

I'd say the enclosure is the problem then. Could be that it doesn't supply enough power, but it's probably not worth spending more time investigating.

Best thing is to get another one! ;)

17. mrkgoo macrumors 65816

This is not true, as far as I know.

It makes backups every hour for the past day. One day later, only one of those backups will remain, as it deletes the other 23. Of course this actually goes on in real time (one backup made every hour, and one removed).

As far as I understand, it doesn't consolidate those backups.

18. Jigsawjammer thread starter macrumors regular

19. Shake 'n' Bake macrumors 68020

Shake 'n' Bake

I'd get the FW one. It is faster, and it diversifies your connection options, just in case.

20. Jigsawjammer thread starter macrumors regular

Good point- I'm going to get the firewire one for that reason.