Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Bulldog3777

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 2, 2009
I have the 15" MBP and use an external HD for back up. I just purchased the new 13" MBP. Is it possible to take the external HD used with the 15", connect it to the 13" and pull some pictures and other things off and put them on the 13". I tried but I was not successful so I don't know if it's not possible or I just didn't know how. I don't want to restore the whole thing, just selected items.

Petoz

macrumors 6502
Apr 1, 2008
UK
Yeh, it should be possible. Connect the HD to the 13" MB, and right click on the time machine icon in the dock. Then click "brows other time machine disks" and select the HD. That should let you restore the files you want. Hope that makes sense and works for you.

geoffreak

macrumors 68020
Feb 8, 2008
You can also connect the two MBPs with a Firewire or Ethernet cable and use Migration assistant to transfer data, connect the two MBPs to the same network and put the files in a shared folder, or put the 15" in target disk mode and connect it to the 13" with a firewire cable.

Bulldog3777

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 2, 2009
Yeh, it should be possible. Connect the HD to the 13" MB, and right click on the time machine icon in the dock. Then click "brows other time machine disks" and select the HD. That should let you restore the files you want. Hope that makes sense and works for you.

I opened the Time Machine Icon after connecting the HD but for the life of me I cannot find the choice "browse other time machine disks". I must be doing something wrong. I assume it is in "Open Time Machine Preferences..."

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.