Time Machine Question

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Sipheren, Oct 12, 2009.

1. Sipheren macrumors regular

Sipheren

Hi,

I am just wanting to know if I get a PowerBook G4 and install Leopard onto it, will I be able to restore from my Snow Leopard Time Machine (I know apps mostly wont work but user settings and things should)

Cheers

2. BlueRevolution macrumors 603

BlueRevolution

Actually, you have it backwards. Apple's apps won't work, but the rest of your applications will work fine. Your settings will not. And no, unless I'm very much mistaken, you can't do a Time Machine restore onto an older version of OS X.

Back up manually.

3. Sipheren thread starter macrumors regular

Sipheren

I dont see why user setting like accounts, network settings and iTunes library wouldn't work, the apps are the things I was thinking would be an issue as most of them are made to run on Intel based systems only.

I think I will just backup the drive manually I guess.

4. BlueRevolution macrumors 603

BlueRevolution

Because each operating system has different information that it finds pertinent to store, and different ways of storing this information. More features means different settings to control those features. Some of the settings can be copied directly across, and I'm sure your iTunes library will work just fine as-is, but I wouldn't try doing the same with stuff in your Library folder.

Most applications are developed to run on both PowerPC and Intel-based Macs. Only a few are Intel-only.