Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

DougY

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 2, 2009
Ive noticed that whenever I awaken my iMac after a night of being put in the sleep mode, that Time Machine cannot find my eBook. After I restart the computer, it finds the eBook, and Im able to perform a backup, and it backs up my system every hour as normal.
Is there something Im doing wrong? Lots of you use the sleep mode every night, do you have the same problem?

Update: Jan 22: I called Western Digital Tech Support, and explained the problem to them.
They thought it was either a problem with the computer, the power cord or the USB cord. Since the eBook stays powered on, it most likely isnt the problem. They are going to send me a b new USB cord, maybe the one that came with the eBook has a defective connection.

DoFoT9

macrumors P6
Jun 11, 2007
London, United Kingdom
never came across this problem sorry. seems very odd, whenever i sleep i can normally always re-connect.

are you running the latest OS version that you can?

Ecoh

macrumors 6502a
Oct 30, 2009
USA
I had this same problem with an eBook on my previous iMac. I was told by a "Genius" that it was a problem with the external hard drive software and I would have to live with it. The drive is asleep and does not wake up with the iMac. He said it was a common problem with certain eBooks. I found that putting the computer to sleep again and waking it up right away would put the drive back.

The problem went away when I moved the eBook to my new i7. :)

DarrenC

macrumors member
Jun 19, 2008
Greensboro, NC
I have a new i5 with a USB eBook and it works great.

If you're doing it wirelessly, try connecting through USB and see if it'll wake up that way. eBook may be totally asleep and not receiving the 'wakeup' wireless command.

DougY

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 2, 2009
USB Connection

Ive noticed that whenever I awaken my iMac after a night of being put in the sleep mode, that Time Machine cannot find my eBook. After I restart the computer, it finds the eBook, and Im able to perform a backup, and it backs up my system every hour as normal.
Is there something Im doing wrong? Lots of you use the sleep mode every night, do you have the same problem?

This eBook is attached to my iMac via USB, not wireless.
Its not a serious problem, as all I have to do each time I awaken my computer, I just unplug, then plug in the USB cable, and it sees the eBook again.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.