Time Machine Question

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by lrg32, Feb 23, 2010.

1. lrg32 macrumors newbie

First off, Im new to posting on this site but have been a dedicated fan to macrumors for some time now and check it daily for the latest news for everything Apple.....

Though I am not new to apple, ive owned my imac aluminum for over 2 years now, and its done me good, but its my first imac and now its time for an upgrade....

So im looking to purchase a new 21' imac soon and just had a question on transferring my data over.

Ive never used time machine or any other backup utility because I have all my music, photos, etc saved onto a external hdd and not the one in my imac. So transferring those shouldnt be an issue, my question lies w/ transfering my applications over.

I have lots of apps like Adobe, office, etc that are on my imac, and i'd like to transfer them over to my future imac, but I do not have the discs handy... I legitimately bought all the software, but I moved a year ago and the discs are some thousands of miles away from me buried in storage..

So, would I be able to use Time Machine to make a backup and transfer my applications, w/out having to re-install them on the new computer w/ discs?

If not, is there any way to get my apps onto my new computer w/out the discs?

Thanks in advance and sorry if this question has been asked before. Ive searched but haven't found a straight forward answer.

2. lrg32 thread starter macrumors newbie