Time Machine Questions?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by Fooj, Nov 4, 2007.

1. Fooj macrumors member

This may be already answered somewhere else!

But am wondering about time machine, I will hopefully recieve my macbook pro this week, and will be updating to Leopard.

I am interested in uisng time machine and considering gettin an external drive for my time machine back ups!

I am just wondering what sort of size to get, my macbook pro will have 160gb hard drive, so essentially time machine only uses differential back ups, so i will only ever need a drive with 160gb of space for time machine? is that correct?

I have a USB WD 250gb mybook which has music on, am a considering getting a 500gb WD Mybook pro, using that for music pics etc, and using the 250gb for time machine, but would quite like to partion it, if i can, just in case i ever need it!

Any one got any suggestions?

2. Maui macrumors 6502a

Maui

Scan down this forum and you will see lots of posts on this issue. Basic advice is to buy the largest external drive you reasonably can afford, since that will allow TM to go farther back in time with your backups. For a 160 GB internal, I would not go smaller than your 250 GB, and 2x your 160 GB would be preferred. It also depends a lot whether you are suggesting that you are going to exclude music & pics from your TM backup in favor of some other solution on your 500 GB.