Time machine questions

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by mattnham, Sep 26, 2008.

1. mattnham macrumors newbie

Hey people,

Earlier this week my macbook's hard drive bit the dust. So I took it into my friendly apple reseller got it fixed under warranty and it was all sweet. So, when I got home I started up my mac and it had the whole leopard intro. I followed all the prompts and set up a new account.

Now, I quite like having my mac 'clean' like it is at the moment because it was a fresh install. However I have a time machine backup from my mac prior to the incident. On my old account the shortname was my full name (I didn't know what I was doing when I set it up) so this time I set my shortname to Matt.

Now the questions, Say I only want to restore specific folders e.g. my music folder and specific applications. Can I do that by simply plugging in my time machine hard drive and hitting restore while in 'time machine' mode?. (Will time machine show all the stuff even though it has a different short name as it recorded the data onto?) and will it conflict in the install and try create a new account with my old shortname?

Thanks for your help, please tell me if you find my questions a little confusing :S

Cheers,
    Matttttt.:apple:

2. MurphyM macrumors 6502

I would try restoring an inconsequential folder first, and see where Time Machine places it, before you start messing with stuff like your entire music library.

Your question is clear, and a good one!

I had a rebuilt machine that I wanted to continue using the old Time Machine drive with, without losing all the backups, but I couldn't find an easy way to do that.

3. mattnham thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for your reply, I am going to try that I think, but I'm thinking it just won't show the time machine files :S Maybe the migration assistant?

Matttttttt:apple: