Time Machine + RAID level 10

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by ricosuave, Sep 29, 2007.

1. ricosuave macrumors 6502

ricosuave

Hi all,

I am trying to configure my mac pro drives to install leopard when it's available next month. I have 4 x 500gig drives.

If I set them up with a RAID level 10 to have automatic backup and speed performance will I be able to run Time Machine within the same RAID?

Also, has any one out there ever rebuilt data if a disk failed under this configuration?

Your comments and suggestions would be apreciated...

2. overcast macrumors 6502a

If you partition out the RAID you may be able to do it. I actually just rebuilt a RAID 10 array at work this weekend. RAID 10 arrays are very easy and straightforward. As they are just mirrors of data, you don't have to deal with long drawn out parity calculations.

3. ricosuave thread starter macrumors 6502

ricosuave

Thanks overcast,

Did you rebuild and still retained data? Or did you install fresh?

4. overcast macrumors 6502a

A rebuild of course. A fresh install would totally go against the entire purpose of a RAID.

5. Transeau macrumors 6502a

Transeau

I wouldn't recommend that. Time Machine can be pretty disk intensive. That said, when you are mirroring data from one partition to another (talking about Time Machine, not raid) is VERY slow, as you are working the drives twice as hard.

I have never needed to rebuild an array in OS X yet, but I have had the chance to restore more than 80GB with Time Machine. It works well, very well and it's VERY simple to use. I would recommend running the system with two separate mirrors, or a stripe of 3 drives and the 4th dedicated to Time Machine. The latter being the better performer and the former being the safest.

My setup seems to be working quite nicely for me. 2x WD Raptor 150GB drives stripped with an additional WD RE2 500GB for Time Machine. Once an hour I hear the 500GB spin up, then 10 minutes later it spins down after Time Machine is done with it's backup.