Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

benlee

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Mar 4, 2007
So Yesterday I got a Time Machine error that basically said the backup could not be completed.(I forget the specifics)--but then I right click and do a backup now and it seems to back up fine.

Then today I get a related error but this one says I only have read permission on the disk. I tried to do a repair and I get a warning that says "incorrect number of hard link files" So anyways I again right clicked an Backup Now and it seemed to work fine again.

Anyone else have similar problems or know of the cause or solution....never had these problems since I got leopard on release day.

wrldwzrd89

macrumors G5
Jun 6, 2003
Solon, OH
Your disk may have some file system damage. To check for this, open Disk Utility and click Verify Disk.

If you get any errors, click Repair Disk. If you get the following error message: ERROR: Could not unmount disk. close all applications except Disk Utility, switch Time Machine off, and try again.

benlee

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Mar 4, 2007
thanks... I repaired the whole disk (its partitioned). it seemed to go fine and time machine still works. .

TechnoBob

macrumors newbie
May 13, 2009
Here it is over four years later...I had this exact problem today, and wrldwzrd89's answer solved my problem. Thanks!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.