Time Machine recovery (iTunes) to PC

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by stevielo, Mar 6, 2013.

1. stevielo, Mar 6, 2013
    Last edited: Mar 6, 2013

stevielo macrumors newbie

Hi Everyone,

I was an avid Mac user until a couple of months ago when some fool burgled my house and stole my MBP :mad: . It looks like i'll never see it again, however they did leave behind my external hard drive with my Time Machine backups. At the moment, I just can't afford to replace the MacBook so my only option is using my Windows work laptop for the interim.

I'm therefore without my iTunes collection. Is there any possible way to restore my iTunes from the Time Machine backup onto my Windows laptop?

I have hunted forums high and low, and there seems to be no answer to this other than "Time Machine is for OSX only", which I accept. What I refuse to accept is that there is no workaround for this issue.

Any constructive ideas would be much appreciated :D

Best,

Stevie

2. simsaladimbamba

If you use HFSExplorer or MacDrive (the 7 day trial), you can read the TM HDD and go into the Backups.backudb folder to recover your iTunes Music folder from your Users folder.

HFS+ (Hierarchical File System, a.k.a. Mac OS Extended (Journaled) Don't use case-sensitive)

3. mfram macrumors 65816

Do you have any friends with a Mac you can borrow? Or maybe go to an Apple Store and do the transfer there to another external hard drive?

4. stevielo thread starter macrumors newbie

Hi Guys,

Thank you both for your replies. Simsaladimbamba, i think i'll see what I can do from your suggestion as that's more like the type of process I was after. When i've a bit of time to try it, i'll certainly post the results.

Thanks again,

Stevie