Time Machine Recovery Question

Discussion in 'macOS' started by monkeystuner, Oct 1, 2008.

1. monkeystuner macrumors newbie

I bought my MacBook Pro during that weird time where I had tiger factory installed but they shipped out free upgrade discs if you purchased it recently. So I upgraded to leopard from the disc and recently I started using Time Machine to back my files up. I haven't had a failure yet but if I do, do I try to run the tiger disc I got with my computer or do I run the upgrade disc even though there isn't a previous version installed.. and please don't say the second one because I have no idea where that disc is lol

Dave

2. aethelbert macrumors 601

You've gotta run the 10,5 disc. From there, you can restore from the backup. The tiger disc won't help you at all unless you're installing 10,4, but Time Machine is strictly a feature of 10,5.

3. monkeystuner thread starter macrumors newbie

Well that is what I figured.. I knew Time Machine was a new feature with Leopard but I didn't know if you had to install Tiger first and then upgrade it again or not because for some reason I was under the impression that the upgrade disc was just that.. an upgrade, not a fully functional OS on its own... Luckily though, while I was waiting for a reply, I searched through closet of random stuff and found the 10.5 disc!!! Thanks a ton.

Dave