Time machine reinstall makes my Mac do crazy thangs

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by OdduWon, Oct 23, 2009.

1. OdduWon macrumors 6502a

OdduWon

Hey all, I recently reinstalled OSX 10.5.8 on my penryn MBP so I could make a larger XP bootcamp partition. After reinstalling leopard and restoring my whole system through time machine my computer is acting weird.

First, "the file "itunes library" cannot be read because it was created by a newer version of itunes". Wtf? It didn't upgrade itunes to 9 till after I had done all the TM restoring. should be older, no?

Second, adobe applications crashed. I was in AI working on a 500 mb file and BOOM, beach ball>crash. All other CS3 unable to open. I have 4 gigs of ram and some of the applications that would not open were not even in use at the time of the AI crash, could this be something with the TM backup? CS3 was all installed together.

third. While this epic crash is happening all the **** on my desktop disappears. WTF? just a blank desktop image. but wait, If i click were things used to be, Bam they appear out of no where, but only if I click where it is supposed to be. it's there in the desktop folder but not showing up as icons on my desktop. I think this has happened to me before the reinstall too, though never all at once, usually when I use the "pinchy" to resize icons one or two will disappear.

fourth. Cisco clean access agent beach balls and requires hard reset. the login window was floating on screen all the way till the screen turned off.

These all happened in the same day, now It is working some what like normal, though my itunes is broke. Any ideas on how to fix this itunes?

If I only need one application and it's plug-ins (SU and Podium beta) restored through TM ( i have a disk for all the others) is there a way to just restore the one. Would this give me a more stable system over all? should I go ahead and reinstall and restore the one app and do the rest manually?

what do you all think? should I be worried? Is TM legit, or is it only a temporary solution? WFT is juice?:p

2. Ashka macrumors 6502a

Ashka

Time Machine worked very well for me when I restored my whole system.
    Maybe try again...

MAC OS X 10.5 HELP: RECOVERING YOUR ENTIRE SYSTEM:

Simply boot from your install DVD with your external TM drive connected. After you boot into the install DVD, the time machine restore program is under the Utilities section on the Top Menu Bar (after passing the language screen). Start it and follow the prompts to restore your backup.
    S.

3. OdduWon thread starter macrumors 6502a

OdduWon

this is the exact procedure I used for my reinstall. Seems to work well most of the time, though now I have noticed that my spotlight doesn't find some of m files. I can find them in finder but spotlight won't fine exact file names. SA for safari works well, but ARCE 316 wont work nor will "program.pdf". I don't know about this TM restore, may have restored problems too.

I think I will try a fresh install, then manually install my applications and files, though I will still need to time machine restore 1 application that I no longer have the key for. Hope restoring one application and it's plug-ins is possible. Otherwise I guess I will have to just Give up that application.