Time Machine reinstall on clean Yosemite install

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by tuckerdogavl, Jan 27, 2015.

1. tuckerdogavl macrumors newbie

tuckerdogavl

Just want to double check this before proceeding.
    I have a Macbook with a TimeMachine backup and it is running 10.7.
    I have a Macbookpro that is running 10.6.8 and I'm going to do a clean Yosemite install on it.
    I want to then migrate the TIme backup to the Macbookbro Yosemite. They have different user ids, but the same Apple ID was used in setting up the two computers.

Will I run into any problem by doing the clean Yosemite install, disconnecting the time backup from the macbook and sticking it into the macbookpro and letting migration do its thing?

I have been trying to get a definitive yes, no or it depends on a couple places for over a week, so I thought I'd try here. Thanks in advance. G

2. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

That will work fine. When you get the setup assistant at the end of the Yosemite install it will ask if you want to import... do it then rather than setup and account and import later.

That will bring in your account and all apps and data from the TM backup.

3. tuckerdogavl thread starter macrumors newbie

tuckerdogavl

Thanks.
    Interesting re: the info about installing when first asked vs. later. I did that when I recently got the MacMini and hooked up the time machine from the MacBookPro. All proceeded fine, I thought; I clicked on the "congrats, use your mac" and we went into a freeze. Had to do the cmmand+r and everything was there. I think what actually happened is I assumed the Yosemite was already set up when I installed the time machine migration ... and in fact, it may have had to do something else prior to it running? In any event, I'll do the same thing this time. The last time it took about 2 hrs for the migration, then the "hang" was after 45 minutes.... then I got the apple/black screen and the timeline hung at about third way thru. So, when I C+R'd it, I ignored everything and let it go for the afternoon. Came back and we were up and running (though Mail envelopes, rules and sigs didn't transfer correctly). Why I wanted to doublecheck first.

4. tuckerdogavl thread starter macrumors newbie

tuckerdogavl

Okay, I am missing something - Clean Yosemite install but nothing else

I started with OPTION and everything looked fine.
    45 minutes later it was hanging at 1/3 of the way done.
    I restarted. Held down the OPTION.
    Hung.
    Restarted, didn't hold down OPTION.
    Yosemite is on the system, and everything that was there is still there.

I thought I was doing a clean install and it would wipe what was one the computer?

So, can I reformat the hard drive, then do the Yosemite? That's what I want to do....

5. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

What are you booting to? Have you made a USB key installer that you are booting to? Once inn the recover/install screen you need to use Disk Utility to erase the entire drive to Mac OS Extended (Journaled) first, then do the install.

6. tuckerdogavl thread starter macrumors newbie

tuckerdogavl

I figured that out this morning. :)

Though, I did think of another "What Don't I Know that I didn't ask" question just before pulling the trigger.

I'm erasing the external that had the old backups on it to the computer I'm going to wipe first ... so I can then create the new time machine backups using that EHD on the new computer. THEN, I'll run the Disk Utility on the old computer to wipe that drive, reinstall the Yosemite from the USB, then install the TIMEM BU from computer #2 onto the macbookpro. Just in case something goes wrong with the TIMEM BU on the new computer I'll still have the old computer with all the data on it.