Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

beaster

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 19, 2005
I have a 90 GB internal drive in my MBP of which about 80 GB is occupied. I have a 120 GB external FW drive dedicated to Time Machine. The external drive still has about 20 GB free space. I've had TM configured for about 3 weeks, but I noticed today that the oldest available backup is from last night. That seems strange to me - I would think I should have at least a week's worth of daily backups, and probably a couple of weekly backups since the external drive isn't feeling any space pressure at this point (so no need to remove old backups to get below the limit). I deal with some relatively large image files (20-50 MB), but don't change very many of them on any given day, and even then I'm not really changing the base file since I'm using Lightroom. Any ideas?

The only thing I can think of is that may there was a particularly large incremental from 2 days ago, and TM found that deleting the weekly's wasn't enough, and had to keep deleting daily's until yesterday's to free up space. But that would be very odd, since I haven't done much of anything in the last few days.

-Sean

MurphyM

macrumors 6502
Dec 29, 2007
That doesn't make much sense to me. I noticed the other day that the Time Machine interface wasn't letting me go all the way back through my backups. But if I looked on the backup drive they were still there. Later, the interface let me go back. Maybe I rebooted or reconnected the drive, I don't remember.

Have you looked at the files on the drive using Finder to see just how many sets you have?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.