Time Machine restoration to new dual drives

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by turnergreen, Oct 6, 2014.

1. turnergreen macrumors newbie

Recently I upgraded to a OWC dual drive set up with a SSD. At the moment I have a backup of my machine on an external drive but my back up is from my old 500GB Hard drive (which went bust) and currently I have a new 250GB SSD and 1TB HDD.

I want to be able to restore all my settings, OS and applications from my ext real drive to my SSD while having the rest of the files and folders go towards my 1TB HDD.

Is there a way this could be done? I know I could install from my back up on my HDD and take it from there but would I be able to move my OS and Applications to the SDD so I could have those faster boot times?

I appreciate any help in advance.

2. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

What you could do is first install the OS on the SSD, the when it launches the setup process use Migration Assistant to move your apps and some of the data over to the SSD.

When the Migration Assistant starts there is a screen where you can click the triangle by your user account and uncheck things like Music and Pictures folder to prevent them from migrating. That will get you the OS and your apps and only the data you want on the SSD.

Then after that is done you can manually restore just say the Music and Pictures folders from the TM backup to the HDD.