Time Machine Restoration

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Guardsix, May 7, 2015.

1. Guardsix macrumors member

Guardsix

I had to do a clean reinstall of Yosemite on my MacBook Pro. I have an external hard drive that I had been using for my Time Mache backups. After I restored my Operating system, I want to reconnect my former T-M backup hard drive. But it appears theres only one days backup on that drive. Whats happened to all my previous backups?

I know it was working correctly before because I've gone back in time to restore files before.

Oh, yeah, the HDD says it has only 64GB free on a 2TB HDD.

Anyone got any ideas?

2. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

Try to option click the Time Machine menu icon then select browse other backup disks and you should see the old one.

3. Guardsix thread starter macrumors member

Guardsix

Yeah, I already did that. I can connect to the previous HDD and I can only see one backfile is there going all the way back to 2013.

But, when I go to Time Machine to try and actually see anything back past a day or two, nothing shows up.

How do I get Time Machine to recognize the entire backup file?

4. dZp macrumors 6502a

dZp

Is the 'old' backup still visible and accessible from the Finder?

5. Guardsix thread starter macrumors member

Guardsix

Yeah, it is. Backups.backupdb is date 16 Oct 2013 and when I access that, it still has files back to 2013.

Yet, when I go into Time Machine to find something, it won't go past 5 Oct. I did a clean re-install of Yosemite on that day. I figured my backups would be gone but if they're not, I'd like to still access them.

6. dZp macrumors 6502a

dZp

7. Guardsix thread starter macrumors member

Guardsix

False alarm. I just needed to let Time Machine catchup.

Today when I tried to look at my Time Machine backup data, it went all the way back, no problem.

Thanks for everyone that tired to help. I guess, lesson learned, is to let the MacBook Pro and it's apps work a little before running around yelling!