Time Machine restore 10.5.6 to 10.5.5

Discussion in 'macOS' started by tdream, Feb 17, 2009.

1. tdream macrumors 65816

So I upgraded my hard drive to 500gb and thought that the easiest way to transfer would be a fresh install and let time machine do it's magic. Well it kind of worked. Everything went smoothly until I tried to load itunes. itl database is from a previous version. Hmm... I thought Time Machine was supposed to back up EVERYTHING so I don't have to go reinstalling s*&^ again. Nevermind, update in Software Update and everything should be grand right? Wrong (arnie voice)

There were loads of updates still in there and 10.5.6 was a biggie. So install that one first. It hangs, I try again, it hangs on install. So approached it from another angle. Use Carbon Copy Cloner. So out with the new drive and in with the old drive. Begin Clone, it failed at 33%. Stuff that. Use something else. Super Duper. It copied superbly, althought it took ages. And then I could even boot use using the clone as the startup disk. So cloned the drive to the new 500gb disk. Took 8 hours...

And eventually.... it loads to the apple logo and then reboots after abotu 60 seconds. Infinite reboot loop.

So am I doomed to using the 160gb drive forever?! Help!!

2. wrldwzrd89 macrumors G5

wrldwzrd89

I'm not sure what, exactly, you're trying to do... but Time Machine does NOT back up the operating system, nor does it back up the Developer Tools, if you had them installed.

Anyway, if you're trying to apply the 10.5.6 Combo update but failing, try downloading and installing manually from Apple's site. That usually works.

3. old-wiz macrumors G3

By default Time Machine does backup the OS itself. You can exclude stuff, but by default it backs it all up.

4. lostngone macrumors 65816

lostngone

I don't understand?

Why don't you just stick the boot CD and click the option to "Restore System from Backup..."

It should go out and look for a TM volume and do a full restore, OS and all.

5. sidewinder macrumors 68020

sidewinder

He clearly didn't do this. Why do people always blame the software when it's operator error the vast majority of the time?

S-

6. tdream thread starter macrumors 65816

7. sidewinder macrumors 68020

sidewinder

Both are backed up on my system...and I didn't change any settings in that regard.

S-

8. lostngone macrumors 65816

lostngone

9. lostngone macrumors 65816

lostngone

That is incorrect.

10. southc macrumors newbie

I just did a restore from a freshly made Time Machine backup. I had it exclude some external drive video files, but nothing was excluded from the primary OS drive.

I popped in my Mac Pro restore DVD and chose "restore from Time Machine backup".

I have no Developer folder and my OS is at 10.5.1 (although the HD the backup was done of was 10.5.6 all completely updated). Therefore Time Machine did not restore the Dev tools I had installed (or anything else I added to that folder) NOR did it restore my machine to the version of the OS it was updated to (and since I did a fresh backup from a brand new hard drive and then did the restore from that drive, there's really not much wiggle room for there being something I did wrong).

So I guess it is, in at least some way, correct.