Time Machine restore after clean SL install

Discussion in 'macOS' started by BeSweeet, Oct 30, 2009.

1. BeSweeet macrumors 68000

BeSweeet

So I'm going to reinstall Snow Leopard from scratch for the 6th time since I bought my MBP, which is a little over a month. Why? Constant freezes, lockups, beach balls (OMG I HATE THOSE DAMN THINGS). So I just want to start fresh... again again again again again again.

My question: if I restore from my Time Machine backup after I install Snow Leopard, what will happen? My SL DVD is 10.6. If I restore, will it go to 10.6.1? How is all of this going to work? I could just start completely clean and manually transfer my files from the Time Machine drive to where they usually are and be happy... Just wondering!

2. 5DollaFootlong macrumors 6502

5DollaFootlong

I think I read somewhere from someone on this forum that if you do a clean install with a 10.6 disk, snow leopard will be at 10.6, not 10.6.1. If you have constant beachballs, the problem may be your hard drive. As for the clean install with time machine, I would manually reinstall all of your programs from the developers' websites or the install discs. Then, I think you can just bring back your important documents using migration assistant.

3. BeSweeet thread starter macrumors 68000

BeSweeet

Yeah, I'll probably just start fresh. All of the files from my current HD will be on the Time Machine HD, so I can just drag and drop my music and documents and whatnot, since the entire file system is on there.

Migration Assistant? Could you explain it a little bit? EDIT: Nevermind. I guess Migration Assistant is just for when you're transferring stuff from one Mac to another.

I think I'll do a time machine restore while in the SL installer just to see if anything will be better.

Actually scratch that... Clean install it is.

4. iLog.Genius macrumors 601

iLog.Genius

If you're restoring from a Time Machine backup, then you're really not helping yourself out. If you are getting all those annoyances, restoring a backup is just contributing to that. You're taking anything that might be affecting your system and putting it back after a clean install. To throughly troubleshoot, you will need to clean install and reinstall everything fresh, not migrating preferences and other data that might be causing the problems.

5. Eric S. macrumors 68040

Eric S.

No, you can use Migration Assistant to restore user data and utilities from a Time Machine backup.

6. mac2x macrumors 65816

If you are going to the trouble of a clean install, follow the advice above and install EVERYTHING from scratch. Who knows what screwed up preferences and whatnot you're bringing in from those backups.