Time Machine Restore Freezes

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Plumbstone, Jun 25, 2008.

1. Plumbstone macrumors regular

Plumbstone

I have just installed a new bigger hard drive into a Macbook pro and am trying to restore the previous drive's data using Time Machine. It all goes fine until the very end when it says "Transferring files to support applications" and tells me I have less than a minute left, at which point it hangs. I have tried forcing a restart; all the data is on the drive but I have to set up a new user, there are no preferences, emails etc.

I used a 10.5.0 Leopard disk to re-install the OS, but the Time machine backup was of a 10.5.3 drive as I have done all the available software updates so I was wondering if this may be an issue. Should I re-install the OS, run software update and then use the Migration Assistant utility?

If this all doesnt work I'll just have to use Super Duper or CCC but ideally I don't want to have to open up the MBP 2 more times to swap the internal drive over.

Thanks for your advice....

2. merl1n macrumors 65816

merl1n

Are you sure you were frozen? Don't ever believe the time estimates.

The easiest way to check is by looking at the disk drive and LED on it. If you see it is still flashing (look very closely at it... sometimes it is hard to tell), then TM is not hung.

You can do a full restore of everything by booting from the Leopard DVD and going to the Utilities Menu -> restore from a TM backup. This should overwrite everything on your disk drive.