Time Machine restore from old backup?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by gregburbidge, May 27, 2011.

1. gregburbidge macrumors member

Hey Everyone,

I got a new imac (whee!) and am trying to migrate two accounts over to it. When I first got it I migrated the data from my macbook over, and everything was great.

My wife had a macbook air, which was backed up using time machine. We want to restore from one of the older time machine backup dates, not the most recent date, as she had deleted some files she wants back. Is it possible to migrate over an account (presumably using migration assistant?) from time machine, and not have it migrate from the most recent date?

Any help much appreciated!

2. Z400Racer37 macrumors 6502a

I have the same problem too... i really dont want to have to delete the backups that were made after the date i want to restore from, any ideas anyone?

3. Brian33 macrumors 6502a

I don't know if you can use Migration Assistant to migrate from a non-latest backup, but how about restoring the files you want back onto the original computer, letting Time Machine do another backup (so now the latest backup has all the files you want) and then using Migration Assistant to restore from the new most recent backup?