Time Machine Restore of full Mac HD Problems

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by SAEtool, Dec 30, 2009.

1. SAEtool macrumors newbie

I had the poor luck of having my Imac HD die a few weeks back. I now have a new Imac HD and would like to restore my HD back to the way it was before it died. I have gone into time machine, then selected my Imac, selected my Imac HD, and selected the correct date in time for the restore. I have clicked restore and the system goes out and starts to do its job. It identifies all the files (roughly 200k files and 11.41GB's), then it starts to copy them, and it chugs away for 30-45 mins. Then up pops a message:

"you can't copy "system" because it has the same name as another item on the destination volume, and that volume doesn't distinguish between upper and lower case letters in file names." The restore aborts and I have wasted over an hour with nothing to show for it.

What can I do to restore my system? I have been unable to operate for 3 weeks now, and the people at the apple store just keep telling me how easy time machine is to restore from. Thanks for any help.

2. JediMeister macrumors 68040

To restore the entire computer you have to boot up to a valid 10.5/10.6 install disc, and from the Utilities menu select "Restore System from Backup". Make sure your external drive or Time Capsule is connected (via USB/FireWire or Ethernet) and then locate the most recent system backup and tell it to restore. The Ethernet method is preferred for restoring from a Time Capsule because the wireless connection will throttle the transfer rate between the two devices whereas Ethernet will not. The Time Machine interface in Finder is for restoring specific files and folders, not the entire computer.