time machine restore on a new disc

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by EwanMcTeagle, Aug 20, 2012.

1. EwanMcTeagle macrumors 6502

EwanMcTeagle

Hey guys,

I need your Mac expertise:)

Today I'll be switching drives between my MBPs (see signature for their details).
    The 13" will get an SSD in place of its stock HDD.
    I did a Time Machine backup to restore the system after the switch, but now I got to thinking and worrying... :)
    Since I've backed up the system that was on 750GB stock HDD will everything work properly on a SSD I'll put in? In terms of system, user settings, applications etc.?
    Probably something can always go wrong, but based on your experience is it safe to simply restore from TM or is it better to do a fresh install?
    The computer itself has only 4 months, though I did an upgrade to Mountain Lion a couple of weeks back and I try to keep the drive and system neat and tidy.
    I've backed up only the system and applications since I don't want to spend the time installing them again and I keep media files on an external drive.
    So will I be okay restoring from Time Machine to a new drive?

Forgive me if it's a stupid question, but I've never done it before and don't wanna end up doing the restore and then a fresh install:)
    Thanks in advance.

2. Irock619 macrumors 68000

Irock619

Yes it is safe to restore from TM. An SSD is just like an HDD, except for obvious reasons.

3. EwanMcTeagle thread starter macrumors 6502

EwanMcTeagle

That's great. Thank You:)