Time Machine restore on new Macbook Pro

Discussion in 'macOS' started by greezychicken, Oct 24, 2008.

1. greezychicken macrumors member

I just got a new Macbook Pro and would like to transfer accounts/data from my old machine that was backed up using Time Machine. On the initial boot, I chose to transfer over my entire account and did not check off the options for applications or files and folders. Right now it appears that its transferring everything, including documents which is what I want.

My question is I am assuming it will transfer over my applications too (they reside in the Applications folder under my account, right?) Will all the applications transfer over and if so, will they be accessible by all accounts or will I have to do it over? If I screw up will I be able to try another restore from the same backup or will it be overwritten?

Thanks.

2. hiddenpremise macrumors regular

hiddenpremise

Somewhere between my imagination and reality
    I don't believe it will transfer your applications. Applications do not reside in your account, they reside at /Applications. Your account resides at /Users/yourname/, which is abbreviated as ~/. Applications have more than just what lives in your applications folder, they have parts that reside in /Library/Application Support, /Library/Preferences, ~/Library/Application Support, and ~/Library/Preferences. While not all are this tricky, many are. It is best practice to just re-install your apps.

3. richard.mac macrumors 603

richard.mac

Migration Assistatn migrates Users, Applcations, Network and Machine settings, Files and Volumes.

most Applications will be OK. but some like Creative Suite, Office and apps that store files in /Library will be missing files that Migration Assistant did not migrate. you can either install them again or fish out those missing files if you know where they are in the Previous Systems folder in Macintosh HD.

BTW if you dont need anything in the Previous Systems folder it is say to delete to reclaim space.

4. steffi macrumors 6502a

Well some things that it definately didn't migrate for me were. Envelope Index, that's being rebuilt now so that messages show up in Mail.app. Also, pkgs that should be in /Library/Receipts were also not migrated and unixdev from Developer Tools was also not migrated by Migration Assistant.