Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Yzerguy

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 13, 2007
My 24" iMac died an ugly death a couple of weeks ago. I've decided to replace it with a 17" MBP, which is ordered and on the way.

My iMac was running (10.5.x), with TM doing it's usual hourly incremental backups.

Obviously my MBP will be running (10.6.x).

I have read that I can either restore or use the migration assistant to try and retrieve my data and/or programs.

My biggest concern is getting my data, especially photos but including emails etc -- also I'm really hoping iTunes will come back just the way it was before as well.

I have media for all software that I was running pre-crash, including some stuff I've just bought to upgrade (PS CS5, LR3) - I'm wondering if it's best to do clean installs of all the software I have (old and new) and then migrate data, or should I try and restore everything (including programs) over to Snow Leopard from my Leopard TM backup and then upgrade/update?

After searching I have found little to explain the differences (pros & cons etc.) - can anyone point me towards some links for further details?

Cheers, Sean

dashcs

macrumors regular
Oct 2, 2009
Restore is not a option.

Over a few reasons.TM backups are from 10.5 and also its from a iMac.
You have a 10.6 MBP.

http://support.apple.com/kb/TS3243

You have 2 options.
Either use migration assistant on the TM backup or copy and paste the information from the TM backup to the MBP

Yzerguy

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 13, 2007
Just wondering how old is you now dead iMac 24"?

Bought Dec 2008, no AppleCare. Was a gift -- 24" core 2 duo, 2.4 GHz, 4 gigs RAM.

I've chatted to 3 different Apple Authorized repair shops about it - most thot it was just the HD given my explanation, but diagnostics says it may be "a controller" or something else -- given how much labour is involved in pulling apart an iMac (beyond just getting at the HD or RAM), my cost to repair it was "anywhere between $400-$1,100".

It became an oversized paperweight to me at that point, although I'll get a tiny bit for the ram and perhaps other parts, I've got a few people interested.

I had planned to move to a matte MBP at some point in the next year, this just bumped it up a bit, still, I did not want to spend that cash now. Will get an external monitor in the next 6-12 months.

The people at one shop said they have seen 4 of these same iMacs come back like this in 2010.

Yzerguy

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 13, 2007
Restore is not a option.

Over a few reasons.TM backups are from 10.5 and also its from a iMac.
You have a 10.6 MBP.

http://support.apple.com/kb/TS3243

You have 2 options.
Either use migration assistant on the TM backup or copy and paste the information from the TM backup to the MBP

Thanks dashcs,

Much appreciated -- all of the articles I could find on the topic were from 2008 or earlier, i.e.: before 10.6

Now to figure out how I go about deauthorizing my iTunes account/DRM on my dead iMac.

Cheers, Sean

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.