Time machine restore or Migration Assistant?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by mrcap, Sep 29, 2008.

1. mrcap macrumors newbie

I've read a lot on the subject but still don't know if I should use time machine's restore or the migration assistant?

I just bought a slightly used iMac 24 inch 2.4 with a 1T internal drive. My old Mac is a 1.25 20 inch PPC imac (bowling ball base) that has a 150gig internal and 4 external hds. 2 usb, A 120 and a 500 and 2 fire wire 400 and 500. And to protect it all it is all backed up using time machine with a 1.82 T usb external. Both running 10.5.5. Wow what a mouthfull!

So after reading a bazillion threads I still don't know if I should us time machines restore or the migration assistant? And when the restore is ready to go should the external drives (except the 1.82 T time machine backup drive)be attached to the new computer or the old?

Thanks in advance for your insight on the matter!

2. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

If you're running Leopard on the iMac G4 then I'd just restore it onto the iMac Intel. Just make sure you're running 10.5.5.

3. johto macrumors 6502

johto

I'd use the migration assistance because your two imacs are differend CPU architecture..might be not so messy with the migration assistance...i would just install a new clean install and then use the migration. You attach the drive to the new computer after clean install and run migration assitant..

4. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

Leopard is universal and it can run on both PowerPC and Intel. This is true even if the discs shipped with an Intel Mac.

You learn these things when you're imaging Macs of both architectures. ;)

5. johto macrumors 6502

johto

I know, but its imho "cleaner" to do a normal clean installation and then transfer the user files with the migration.

I have two times had to restore the whole system with time machine and i find its not 100% accurate. It leaves some minor thing out of the restore( some service logs and some files and directories had to create manually inside /var directory, example apache stuff.. found this out after looking erros in console...thats why i recommend to do a clean install if possible. This to be a new machine and all...thats what i mean by "clean" :p