Time Machine Restore or new setup on rMBP

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Rocknroli, Mar 5, 2013.

1. Rocknroli macrumors newbie

Hi

I just ordered am 15" rMBP and i had a MBP late 2008.
    Are there any performance Problems from restoring from my Time capsule. I mean all the clutter, that lies on my harddisk and so on.
    Would any of you Recommend reinstalling all the Software and copy the Files and documents i really Need?

I mean Mail and contacts are in iCloud Anyway...

Thx for recommendations.

2. trigonometry macrumors 6502

trigonometry

You should be able to restore from the Time Capsule with no problems but I would start fresh and grab the files I need from the old machine. I don't know about anyone else but I totally changed my workflow when I got the retina. Some things that were acceptable on my cMBP just were not cutting it on the new machine. What size hard drive did you get?

3. bobr1952 macrumors 68020

bobr1952

I am a fan of not moving the entire old system to a new system. I pick and choose based on my current computer needs and habits. I keep the old data and can go back later to retrieve things I find I still need but otherwise, a fresh start is a good move for me.

4. PatriotInvasion macrumors 65816

PatriotInvasion

Start fresh. Just drag over/install what you need. Wait a week or so to make sure you have everything, then wipe the Time Capsule drive and do a fresh backup of your new rMBP.

5. niteflyr macrumors 6502a

Restore from time capsule during setup. That's what it's for. New machine has fresh install of OSX. No performance issues. Why risk missing something important.

6. JeffiJers macrumors 6502a

Start fresh for sure... pull the files you need. Clean install on everything

7. Rocknroli thread starter macrumors newbie

I got a 512 Gb SSD

I also tend to a clean install...