Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

photogy

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 2, 2010
Hi,

Just did a TM restore on new rmbp from external gtech drive with FW800 cable. Did it straight after turning on rmbp for first time in the initial setup option page.

After initial shock of not finding my data folders, then finding them and being locked out, i realised that there are now 2 user accounts set up...my new rmbp and my old account from my mbp.

The new rmbp locks me out of my folders but the old mbp accounts gives me access of course.

2 accounts are a pain as you have to do individual software updates and instals for each user logged on...Is there any way that i can merge the accounts or delete the new account set up with the rmbp and just use my old mbp account...or am i stuck now with 2 accounts?
thanks

Last edited:

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California
It sounds like you used Migration Assistant... yes? It also sounds like you started the new machine and created a user account then AFTER that you started Migration Assistant (MA) and imported everything... yes? If this is what you did, you made one account yourself then the MA import made another account with the same name, and now you have the mess you are describing.

If you did not use MA like I described and this was caused by something else you did, ignore what I am about to say. :)

I assume here you still have your good Time Machine backup.

Okay, login to one of the admin accounts and create a new admin account called "temp" (or whatever you want.. we will delete it after). Now logout of all accounts and login to the temp account. Go to System Prefs and in the Users & Groups pane delete BOTH the other user accounts on the machine. When prompted tell it to delete all the data from these accounts.

You should now be left with no accounts other then the temp that you are now using. Now from the temp account start Migration Assistant and point to your Time Machine backup as the import source. When doing this pick a Time Machine backup date from before you did all this so you know it is still the proper config. from the last machine.

Just let Migration Assist finish then log out of temp and login to your old account that should have been imported. Make sure everything is working okay in the new account, then go back in to Users & Groups and remove the temp account.

That should do it.

photogy

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 2, 2010
Hi,

Must have used MA after i set up the UN and PW...but did not realise (am not good at tech stuff!)

Just assumed that the TM restore would go into the new account rather than import the old.

I did not make a TM backup on the new rmbp yet but yes, still have the original version on HD. (only set it up a few hours ago).

Ok will try what you suggested but in asia so late...will do first thing.

many thanks!

photogy

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 2, 2010
ok...should have know better than to try this late at night...

created the temp account and just deleted the 2 accounts...i was only given 3 options to delete (no option for delete all data)...i clicked no 3

1. save home folder in a disk image
2. dont change home folder
3. delete the home folder

now the 2 accounts have gone but all the files etc are still on the HD....the temp account is still there....

oh dear....

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California
ok...should have know better than to try this late at night...

created the temp account and just deleted the 2 accounts...i was only given 3 options to delete (no option for delete all data)...i clicked no 3

1. save home folder in a disk image
2. dont change home folder
3. delete the home folder

now the 2 accounts have gone but all the files etc are still on the HD....the temp account is still there....

oh dear....

"Delete the home folder..." is what you want.

So you deleted the two accounts and now have the new temp account? What do you see in the /Users folder?

Where are you seeing files you don't think you should be? It sounds like you are okay so far.

photogy

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 2, 2010
yes...i deleted the home folder option.

in users i just have the temp account and guest account

all data is still on HD..thought the data (pics, app's etc) would have been deleted but checked in 'About Mac' and all still showing on HD

Last edited:

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California
yes...i deleted the home folder option.

in users i just have the temp account and guest account

all data is still on HD..thought the data (pics, app's etc) would have been deleted but checked in 'About Mac' and all still showing on HD

Sounds good then. Prolly the old user info is in the trash. Just empty the trash.

photogy

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 2, 2010
trash was empty.

what happens now to the data on HD and how do i access it if i deleted the 2 accounts?

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California
trash was empty.

what happens now to the data on HD and how do i access it if i deleted the 2 accounts?

If you deleted the home folders along with those two accounts the data should be gone. If you don't see the folders in /Users is must be gone. Why do you think it is still there?

It will come back along with your old account when you import using Migration Assist from your Time Machine backup.

photogy

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 2, 2010
the 2 account folders have gone but all the data 320gb is still on the HD...do i have to delete this from the disk utility and then from there use the restore again using the external drive?

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California
the 2 account folders have gone but all the data 320gb is still on the HD...do i have to delete this from the disk utility and then from there use the restore again using the external drive?

When you deleted the accounts the data should be gone. Where exactly are you looking that makes you suspect it is still there?

Do you have Time Machine on? Iso, that makes local backup copies of data and that my be what you are seeing. Turn Time Machine off then back on and that will zero out the local backups.

photogy

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 2, 2010
TM was on....i turned off and on as suggested and even did a restart but the data (office, LR4, CS, photos etc) are all still there on the HD (Of course with the same access issues as i originally had.)

Also when i look in 'About This Mac' its also confirming that there is 320gb on my HD.

when the accounts deleted there was nothing in trash.

When you delete a user account as described, if it deletes all files etc associated with that account how does it do it? eg i have 320gb of data so this would take a long time to delete and surely some kind of message would come up during the process?

i opened TM and its empty (as i never did a TM backup to disk on new rmbp)

Last edited:

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California
When you delete a user account and chose that delete data option, it does delete the data.

I am still not understanding where you say you are seeing this data? Exactly what folder do you see it in if the older /Users folders are gone?

photogy

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 2, 2010
All data was still in users folder as well as all app's (LR, CS etc).

Took to local mac place and they said that if i was upgrading from older version of OS X then that might cause an issue.

rMBP also did have a problem when i did the restore and it had to restart during the upload so maybe that also caused an issue.

anyway, i erased the hard drive and will simply install again.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.