Time Machine restore problem

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by baxlobs, Sep 10, 2013.

1. baxlobs macrumors regular

I accidentally deleted an entry in the Notes app a while ago, and have been trying to restore it using Time Machine.

I may be going about it wrong, as when I go back to an earlier date, select the Notes app and restore it it still only has the latest notes without the one I deleted.

I do not seem to be able to find the individual notes to select the one I want. Perhaps I am looking in the wrong place, or doing it entirely incorrectly?

2. Switchback666 macrumors 68000

Switchback666

Hmm if you have icloud notes enabled, try restore the backup with no internet connection so it doesnt update/sync.

3. baxlobs thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks for reply, I didn't have icloud notes enabled.

I think I need to know where in the filing system iMac keeps the individual notes entries and what the filenames might be?

4. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

There are not stored individually, but rather in a core storage file in the below folder. Open Finder then hit shift-command-g and paste in the path below and enter. You will see three notesV1 files there. This is what you are after.

I turn off iCloud and copy the existing files to the desktop as a backup before you mess around in there though.

Code:
    ~/Library/Containers/com.apple.Notes/Data/Library/Notes/

5. baxlobs thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks I will give that a go, do i look on that path in the Time Machine backup for a date before my accidental deletion?

6. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

Yes, exactly. If you go to that folder and while still in Finder launch the Time Machine app (the star field interface) it will take you right to the correct spot in Time Machine with the dates along the right side.

7. baxlobs thread starter macrumors regular

Many thanks, that has worked and I have got back to prior to my stupid deletion. Result!!!

8. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

Excellent! :)

9. AnorexicPig, Jan 14, 2014
    Last edited: Jan 14, 2014

AnorexicPig macrumors 6502

AnorexicPig

Hey there,, I just lost my notes, and when I try to restore them from the time machine backup using the method you listed above, they appear in the notes app for 1 second, it says updating and then they disappear again :(.

Any help ?

Never mind- Solved it .

10. Tumbleweed666 macrumors 68000

How about saying what the solution was so that others who hit the same problem can fix it also?

11. CodeJingle macrumors regular

Yeah when I need to use my Time Machine to restore the past it doesn't always go as planned :)

12. AnorexicPig macrumors 6502

AnorexicPig

I am sorry, I thought it was just me. What I did was I double tapped on each of the three files in the "~/Library/Containers/com.apple.Notes/Data/Library/Notes/" and clicked get info and then locked them.

Then when I opened notes, all my notes were there, but I could no longer add any new or delete. I opened iCloud.com, and copy pasted everything there, and then unlocked the notes.

This worked, as though the notes were deleted, they came back as soon as I turned Notes on in iCloud, since I had copied them in iCloud.com. Hope this helps.