Time Machine restore question

Discussion in 'macOS' started by calvy, Sep 13, 2010.

1. calvy macrumors 65816

A while back, I installed an SSD into my 2010 Unibody 15" Macbook Pro. I had the stock 500GB 5400RPM drive in the optibay, and was doing time machine backups of both disks across an apple file share on my ubuntu desktop. The two drives were Macinstosh SSD and Data. Data housed all my iTunes and pictures, and anything that wasn't accessed very frequently.

Now I need to take the machine into the Apple store for help with a trackpad issue. So I put the 500GB drive back in the regular spot, and put my optical bay back in. Did a time machine restore of the Macintosh SSD system disk from my backups through the OS X install DVD, but now I can't figure out how to access the data in my old Data partition. I know it's in my time machine backups, but i can't figure out a way to find these files and tell it to restore them to my home folder.

I hope that makes sense. Anyone have any ideas for me?

2. MacForScience macrumors 6502

MacForScience

I am confused why you switched things back to the original configuration rather then leaving the system as it was? I am sure the apple store can figure out how to connect and external DVD drive to your computer.

Cheers

3. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Time machine is just a series of folders that you should be able to navigate via Finder.

Are you having trouble accessing the backup? Just connect to your Ubuntu computer and navigate to the location of the backup.

btw, while running backups did you test out and/or verify that the backups were running as expected on the Ubuntu computer?

4. iThinkergoiMac macrumors 68030

Uhm... pretty sure replacing the optical bay, which requires extensive disassembly of the computer, voids your warranty. Ergo, he put it back so that it didn't appear to have been taken apart before.

Two things... are you sure that TimeMachine backs up your 2nd internal drive? Secondly, if it is backed up, why do you need that data on the 500 GB drive you put back? All it needs is a working system for them to diagnose it, you can simply restore everything once you have both drives back in their proper places.

5. MacForScience macrumors 6502

MacForScience

Its going to be obvious you tampered with the computer even with putting the drives back. Yes I know it voids your warranty so unless you got everything back in its place with no obvious signs of tampering (which I would doubt) or the apple store tech is blind chances are your not going to get warranty coverage anyways.

Cheers

6. calvy thread starter macrumors 65816

Sorry I hadn't come back to this. I got it going, by adding an external hard drive and naming it the same thing as my old 2nd internal drive. I was then able to restore the files to any location I wanted.

And by the way, Apple store serviced my computer under warranty. They can't tell I've opened it. It's really not very hard to pull the optical drive out and replace it with an OptiBay for a 2nd hard drive.

7. iThinkergoiMac macrumors 68030

Actually, I've found that it's pretty easy to take apart your computer and put it back together without it being apparent that it has been done so. There's not a lot of tape that looks obvious when removed and as long as you don't strip out any screws, you should be good. Looks like the OP was fine.

The catch would be if you had to replace the thermal paste and you put it on all nice and neat instead of glopping it on all over the place. Then they might know ;)

8. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Technically speaking dismantling your computer does not void your warranty. Any damage incurred while doing upgrades or dismantling will not be covered but your warranty is intact.

You may have a fight on your hands, trying to argue your case, but in the purest legal standpoint based on apple's own wording on their warranty. People are not prevented from working on their computers.