Time Machine Restore Question

Discussion in 'macOS' started by covertsurfer, Jan 9, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. covertsurfer macrumors 6502a

If I decide to wipe my machine and put a fresh install of OSX without things like languages etc can I copy certain things over to my new install from my time machine backup or will time machine simply put the system back to what it was before the clean install ie/with languages etc?

Thanks

2. BlueRevolution macrumors 603

BlueRevolution

It will restore your settings and so forth to the way they were, but Time Machine does not back up system folders. If you, say, run a new install with all the language packs disabled and the use Time Machine to restore from a backup where they weren't, the language packs will not be present.

You can't selectively restore a Time Machine backup during install. It's all or nothing.

3. covertsurfer thread starter macrumors 6502a

If you do a clean install you still have the external hard disk with the file structure in tact don't you? That way can't you just copy the things you want from the tima machine drive onto the new install?

4. covertsurfer thread starter macrumors 6502a

5. covertsurfer thread starter macrumors 6502a

6. Amdahl macrumors 65816

From the OS X DVD, you can do a full system restore, which DOES restore the entire system as it exists on the Time Machine backup.

Or, you can selectively restore files on another system after re-installing a new OS. The Migration Assistant offers to help you with this when you first boot a new install of OS X. This would cover your user preferences and data. It wouldn't be recommended to pick & pull parts of the System from the backup and restore them to a different install of the OS.

7. mrkgoo macrumors 65816

So there's the migration assistant for transferring user and application data onto an exisitng OS X installation (or new one for that matter), but using the OSX disc, you can recover exactly what it was on the Time Machine disk?

Then it DOES back up system folders? Where does BlueRevolution get the notion that it doesn't?

8. Doctor Q Administrator

Doctor Q

Staff Member

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.