Time machine restore takes 10 days !

Discussion in 'iMac' started by Jakdaw, Jun 26, 2010.

1. Jakdaw macrumors newbie

Please help, long story which ends with me needing to completely restore my iMac. All ok but when it starts it says it needs 240 hours, it's been going now for 2 days and it's 12% done - is this right or am I just wasting my time...

2. zedsdead macrumors 68040

Are you connected with a cable or doing it wirelessly? Cable would be better.

3. Jakdaw thread starter macrumors newbie

Cable but I needed to connect wireless to see the drive in the first place. So to be honest I'm not sure if I'm honest but loathed to stop it as it's been running so long already

4. Fishrrman macrumors G5

Fishrrman

"Cable but I needed to connect wireless to see the drive in the first place. So to be honest I'm not sure if I'm honest but loathed to stop it as it's been running so long already"

Suggestion:
    When you finally get yourself out of this mess, THROW AWAY Time Machine, download CarbonCopyCloner (absolutely free), and use CCC to do your backups.

You won't be bothered by such problems again!

5. zedsdead macrumors 68040

You should not need to connect wirelessly at all. I would call apple support and ask them what to do.

6. Stealthipad macrumors 68040

Stealthipad

:eek:I had three time machines and they are were trash. Apple big disappointment to me.

7. Jack Comrie macrumors newbie

Have to say it is the same when restoring from an external drive Time Machine back-up for me.

I just do it manually - copy it all over.