Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Hacks

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 31, 2015
When I get a new iPhone or iPad I just connect them to iTunes and have them restore. It puts all my apps, data, and settings on the new device.

I currently have a MBA and plan on getting an iMac. I was wondering if I could do the same thing with my Time Machine backup? Would everything be the same on the new iMac, apps and settings?

Or should I just start fresh and install everything manually?

sonicrobby

macrumors 68020
Apr 24, 2013
New Orleans
Yup, you physically can restore between macs. Ive restored my mac mini time machine backups to my new rMBP when I first bought it. As long as the one being backed up is not being restored onto an older version of OSX, I dont think there'd be any issues.

Bomb Bloke

macrumors regular
Feb 12, 2015
Tasmania (AU)
Don't just do a full system restore, though - have the Migration Assistant handle the process for you. Each model has a slightly different build of OS X (even if the version numbers are the same), and they aren't always compatible. Unlike your iOS backups, OS X backups do include the OS itself, so performing a complete restore to the wrong system has the potential to cause some major issues.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.