Time machine - restore to another Mac?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by qwerta321, May 7, 2008.

1. qwerta321 macrumors newbie

Hi there,

My MacBook (Early 2006) is faulty and is soon to be replaced by Apple. They are replacing it with a MacBook (Early 2008).

I have 10.5.2 on my MacBook, and back up regularly using Time Machine.

My question is, when I receive the replacement MacBook, how can I restore my data from my faulty MacBook to the new?

2. psychofreak Retired

psychofreak

In the set-up there is an option to restore from TM :)

3. qwerta321 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks, psychofreak. In the set-up - is that when I first start up the new MacBook? Apologies if I sound dumb, I'm an Apple noob. :eek:

4. Tyndale13 macrumors newbie

5. drewsof07 macrumors 68000

drewsof07

don't forget to uncheck any items you chose to leave out of the backup before doing so. Did that once, and it sucked. All my movies gone.

6. qwerta321 thread starter macrumors newbie

I don't get that, if the replacement from Apple is brand new, how would I lose data from my backup during a restore to the new MacBook?

7. drewsof07 macrumors 68000

drewsof07

When you are saving the final backup. Make sure to include items on your exclude list under Time Machine Preferences, unless you just backed up everything in which case you're fine.

8. qwerta321 thread starter macrumors newbie

Gotcha, I think I understand. Cheers. :)

9. makinao macrumors regular

Our iMac is going in for some repairs. If I need a few files from the iMac's TM backup, can I connect it to my MacBook and just retrieve those specific files without doing a full restore?

10. cjmillsnun macrumors 68020

Yes, you can drag and drop the files from the backup.

11. enzofsilva macrumors newbie

Hi.

If I just open Finder > [disk to which TimeMachine backed up iMac] > Latest Backup And just copy an Aperture Library from that backup folder (Pictures > Aperture Library)m will all the photos be there?

I'm just afraid that library in the backup folder would be just soft links to files stored somewhere else (e.g. earlier backup folder)...

Thanks.

12. iNeko macrumors regular

Replaced the hard drive in my Late 08 Macbook Pro today (yearly upgrade time!). I did a full Time Machine backup over night last night, threw in new hard drive this morning when it arrived and installed 10.6. Once it finished I restored the Time Machine backup and started from where I left off, fantastic :D

I only use Time Machine when replacing hard drives/Macs! :cool: