Time machine restore to different partitions problems

Discussion in 'macOS' started by Georgio, Jul 19, 2013.

1. Georgio macrumors 6502

Georgio

So I have three partitions on my HD: main is 10.8, bootcamp running win7 and a blank partition where I'd like to restore an older panther backup.
    The problem is that whenever I try restoring just the lion back up instead of utilising the blank partition it always wants to over write the bootcamp one instead which doesn't make sense.
    I am selecting the correct partition and back up but it won't work.
    Is there a problem with restoring an older Mac OS to a HD that has a newer OS installed?
    I even tried installing the older OS (panther) on the selected partition but the damn disk wouldn't even load due to the newer OS.
    I need to get this working as I have apps. on the older backup that won't work in a newer OS.

2. Fishrrman macrumors G3

My suggestion is that you toss Time Machine out, and instead use CarbonCopyCloner to create clones of the two Mac partitions on your backup drive (on separate partitions, of course).

CCC can't clone the Windows partition, but there is an app out there called "WinClone" that can. I don't do Windows, so I have no personal experience with it, but others who do use it, recommend it.