Time Machine Restore to Indifferent Hardware

Discussion in 'macOS' started by tekilla, Apr 21, 2009.

1. tekilla macrumors member

All,

Pretty much as the title says, can you use Time Machine to restore from one Mac to another one of a different spec ?
    I'm thinking of selling my MBP and getting a Unibody MB, so clearly can't use the Migration Assistant as the Unibody doesn't have Firewire.

If I took a full backup of my MBP, could I then upon boot up of the new MB, use the "Restore from Time Machine Backup" option ?

Thanks in advance.

2. kindablue09 macrumors regular

kindablue09

Yep, I just got an imac this weekend and loaded all my time machine data (backed up from a pb) onto it during the set-up assistant. It works almost perfectly. You will probably need to do a software update or two and some of your programs that require registration will need the code re-entered. The only other thing is it takes a very very long time. I had ~40 gb of data and I waited the entire afternoon. I would suggest disabling sleep on the new computer and letting time machine do its thing overnight.

Also, you will need to set up the new computer to do time machine backups; I don't think back-ups will happen unless you re-enter that password too.

enjoy!

3. tekilla thread starter macrumors member

Great news, thanks for that.
    I was concerned it would restore Drivers, system state etc, all of which would be for the wrong machine.

I guess Time Machine from a USB disk would still be quicker than using Migration Assistant over Wifi ?

4. kindablue09 macrumors regular

kindablue09

Hmm, I'm not quite sure of that. I figure trying the usb is worth a shot; you could post how long that takes.

I think ethernet is also an option.

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=590046