Time Machine restore to new MacBook Pro

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by The General, Dec 12, 2008.

1. The General macrumors 601

I had a late 2007 MacBook Pro which I sold, and now I have a Late 2008 MacBook Pro being shipped to me. Before I shipped my old one off, I made sure to backup with Time Machine.

Will I run into problems if I just pop the Leopard disk into my new MacBook Pro and restore from the Time Machine backup? If so, what are my options? I neglected to make a Carbon Copy Cloner backup from which I could use the migration assistant... :eek:

2. AlexH macrumors 68000

AlexH

I doubt you'll have any issues. I sold an iMac recently, made a time machine backup, and bought a unibody MBP. The first thing I did was to restore all of my data via Time Machine. It worked great.

I did run into one minor issue. After the restoration of my data, I noticed that none of it was being picked up by Spotlight. To fix this, simply go to the Spotlight preferences, and navigate to the Privacy tab. Add the entire Mac hard drive to the list of folders you don't want Spotlight to index, then remove the hard drive from the list. That will force Spotlight to re-index the entire drive, including all of you recently transfered data.

I hope what I encountered was just a fluke, but if it isn't, at least you'll know how to re-index your hard drive. :)

3. The General thread starter macrumors 601

Oh okay, cool. I was worried that maybe the touchpad would be messed up, or the preference pain wouldn't be the multi-touch one, or stuff like that.

4. AlexH macrumors 68000

AlexH

It surprised me how seamless the restore was. All of my settings were intact, none of my apps needed to be reactivated - it was really simple.

5. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

Either way (SuperDuper or Time Machine), after the clone/restore, just load up the Restore DVD and perform an Archive and Install to install the correct drivers.

6. Greg1968 macrumors newbie

Restore sent mails from Time machine to my new mac book Pro

Hi ,

I have successfully transfered all my files to my new mac book pro. I have mobile me and everything sync'd up perfectly other than my sent mails. Suffice to say they are the only record i have of a large project i am on!

I cant restore from the lap top that my time machine has been backing up from as it is broken ( reason for new Lap top!)

How do i get access to the mail ( sent file ) on the time machine using my new mac? Also, when i do how do i do a restore?

I have looked on line and downloaded an App called 'Back in time' but couldn't get it to see the time capsule!

Help appreciated .

Many thanks!

7. iThinkergoiMac macrumors 68030

If you go to the external HDD you're backing up to, there's a folder called "Backups.db" or something very similar. You can navigate through that folder as if it were the actual files. From there, just find where Mail keeps its data and drag those to your desktop and, presto!, you've recovered them.

8. Habitus macrumors 6502a

Habitus

You won't have any issues. I sold a black MB when the 13" MBPs came out this summer. I used time machine to restore my new MBP and didn't run into any problems.

Habitus :apple:

9. iThinkergoiMac macrumors 68030

Habitus, you do realize that this thread was started over a year ago, right? The post I replied to brought it back up to the top.. :p

10. bsizz234 macrumors member

Even though this is old, I'm going to post my related question here.

Time machine backups don't backup bootcamp partitions, right? To be more accurate, I guess I should just say that TM won't back up my FAT32 partition, since apparently the fact that I made it with bootcamp doesn't matter. However, I just started using fusion to run the XP install on that partition within OSX. Still not getting backed up, right? So when I install a new drive, I should clone that partition to my external drive (it's only like 20gb), back up all my OSX stuff, restore OSX using TM, and then recreate a small partition and clone it back onto the internal drive?

Does that make sense? thanks for anyone who knows/has done this...

11. iThinkergoiMac macrumors 68030