Time Machine Restore to New MBP

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by MadSkillzPhan, Mar 1, 2011.

1. MadSkillzPhan macrumors newbie

So I had a 2010 MBP. Used time machine to backup everything. I get my new MBP tommorow. Would i just do a restore from the time machine or suggest i build it from scratch? Are there any cons to restore from time machine? thanks

2. montecarloss919 macrumors member

I am in the same situation and have errors that i do not want to bring over. What would you recommend doing if you were in my situation? Thanks!

3. mr0c macrumors regular

mr0c

Just use the Migration Assistant ;-)

It will prompt at first boot to copy user data, if you don't select that, then you can run later as long as the user name doesn't exist on the new computer. Much easier to do on first boot.

4. simsaladimbamba

Just complete the installation process and use Finder to move over files from the Time Machine backup folder. Reinstalling applications might be a bit of a pain, but I always clone my SSD to an external HDD, therefore I rarely use TM.

5. enklined macrumors 6502

I used TM to "migrate" to my new 2011 MBP during the first bootup. It worked, and everything was there )apps, files, everything), but the system seemed slow so I just formatted and setup as new and reinstalled everything. Much better now ;)