Time Machine Restore

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by oilersrock99, Jan 15, 2011.

1. oilersrock99 macrumors newbie

Hey all. So this is the story:

I had to take my MBP in to Futureshop to deal with some heat issues.

They replaced the fans. They also wiped the hard drive. I did back everything up on my Time Machine before I sent it in, however I'm having issues now.

I do have the original install disk that came with the computer and I tried to do a full restore from the time machine backup using the install disk. Everything seemed to be fine, it apparently did the full restore and told me to restart the computer. However, once I did restart the computer I got a kernal panic saying I need to restart my computer. That same message kept coming up regardless of what I did.

The original install disk came with Leopard, and the last backup was done in Snow Leopard, so I'm guessing that's what caused the issue. I tried to find the SL disk but couldn't, so I had to go out and buy a new copy. I'm installing that now.

Once I do get that installed, how can I use Time Machine to get my computer back to the way it was before I took it in? I don't want to simply use the Migration Assistant and pull files over - I want the full restore - but obviously I can't use the original install disk to do so.

Any thoughts?

2. simsaladimbamba

3. oilersrock99 thread starter macrumors newbie

Is there a way I can do a full restore from the Snow Leopard disk? Everything I've read says it has to be the original install disk

4. simsaladimbamba

Yes, you can. The above linked article describes how, just replace the numbers "10.5" with the numbers "10.6" and there you go.

Btw, you can edit your posts via the EDIT button.

5. oilersrock99 thread starter macrumors newbie

It didn't quite work the way the article stated. I had to do the full install of SL and then restart the computer with the SL disk still in the drive. While restarting I held down the Option key and go in that way.

Now we'll wait 23 hours and see what happens...