Time machine restore

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by vmachiel, Jun 23, 2011.

1. vmachiel macrumors 68000

So my hard drive just died, so i decided to buy an ssd. Now i plan to instal is and boot of the snow leopard dvd. Will i be able to restore my full system from time machine there, and will everything be as it was?

Thank you, I tried to search for an answer but MRoogle isn't working for me:(

2. fehhkk macrumors 6502a

fehhkk

Yes, install the OS, install any updates to the OS, and then run Migration Assistant to restore your TM backup.

3. vmachiel thread starter macrumors 68000

4. blevins321 macrumors 68030

You can do it that way, or there is an option under Utilities on the Snow Leopard DVD for restoring straight from a Time Machine backup. It's very fast to do that.

5. fehhkk macrumors 6502a

fehhkk

The only issue would be, is if you have a slightly older DVD, say, you have a 10.6.3 DVD and all of your applications/settings are on 10.6.7 ... I wouldn't feel comfortable restoring it that way (new backup / old OS)... better to fully update the OS, and then perform the restore later.

6. blevins321, Jun 23, 2011
    Last edited: Jun 24, 2011

blevins321 macrumors 68030

When you do the disk-based restore, you're not actually restoring the older version of the operating system from the disk. You're restoring the Time Machine backup of your entire operating system (all of the new OS, apps, everything).

Edit: I thought it worked the way that you said, too, until I had to do it. It was a pleasant surprise to see that 10.6.7 went back on instead of the 10.6.0 disk I was using :)

7. Jagardn macrumors 6502a

You are correct.:D
    The easiest way is to put your new drive in.
    Boot to SL DVD
    Format HDD in the disk utility
    Restore from Backup
    Done...well after a while anyway.:D
    You don't need to re-install the OS if you are restoring straight from a TM Backup.

8. vmachiel thread starter macrumors 68000

Ok cool i'll do that, just 4 more day till delivery:) Thanks everyone who posted

9. jalamiller macrumors newbie

RE: won't boot after time machine restore

I have done this and my machine did not boot after the restore. I got the grey screen. But, I just reinstalled snow leopard and everything was then back and ready to go. I only lost the one hour of work I had done since the last back up.

I know some have posted about the machine not booting up after a full restore and they offer all kinds of detailed instructions (messing in Terminal, etc.) You don't need to do it. Just run your system install disk AFTER you do your full restore.