Time Machine Restore

Discussion in 'macOS' started by thuchu1, Nov 18, 2012.

1. thuchu1 macrumors regular

thuchu1

Hello,

I will be purchasing a new computer soon, and was wondering how my time machine backup restore would work. I currently have a MacBook Pro with an optibay hard drive and an ssd. I know time machine will fill these drives up according to the backup, but if I move to a new computer with only one drive will it merge these, or will I have to do this myself?

2. Dweez macrumors 65816

Dweez

Are you saying that you've currently got your TM backups split across 2 drives?

3. dontpannic macrumors 6502

dontpannic

No, he's got two drives being backed up in Time Machine. Asking what will happen when he restores a backup of two drives onto a mac with one drive.

4. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

Good question. I have not done this myself with the two drive scenario but it is difficult to imagine how TM would or could restore anything but the main drive to the main drive in the new machine. I would think the data in TM from the second drive would need to be manually copied in from TM to whatever destination you want.

5. Dweez macrumors 65816

Dweez

Aah - got it. Note to self: have the morning coffee before posting anything. :)

As far as restoring from multiple drives onto a single drive, I'm of no help. Have you googled time machine tutorial or similar?

6. rhoydotp macrumors 6502

rhoydotp

quick question to OP, how does Time Machine see the drive(s) right now? Is it just one drive or two separate drives (which I don't think even possible to start with)?

thanks

7. thuchu1 thread starter macrumors regular

thuchu1

This is what I was thinking. It shouldn't be a big deal since I'm just using symbolic links to attach the paths. I was just wondering if anyone had experience with this. Thanks a lot.

8. rhoydotp macrumors 6502

rhoydotp

well, that should work if it's a symlink. TM doesn't see you using 2 drives but 1. You just fooled it by creating a symlink to a path that actually goes to another drive. as long as the directory structure is not changed, I believe you should be ok without copying anything over manually.