Time machine restore

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by jsnuff1, Mar 18, 2008.

1. jsnuff1 macrumors 6502a

I am swapping out my MBP's HD today, and am trying to figure out the best way to get all my stuff on the new HD. When I installed the new HD I plan on doing a fresh install of leopard, and then restoring from my time machine.

My question is does time machine only transfer over files/applications, or does it also transfer system files, preferences, and thing like that which could cause the system to be unstable if I had issues with the current state of the system.

Thanks!

2. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

Time Machine will handle it sensibly don't worry ;).

3. LouisBlack macrumors 6502

You can use migration assistant to transfer over only home folders and applications and exclude system files if that's a worry. I did this the other day as my system files had something funky going on with them.

Your home folder has all of your calender/mail/desktop settings in it's own library so everything will be exactly as you left it.

4. VforVelveta macrumors regular

VforVelveta

I used Time Machine when I swapped the HD out of my lappy for the 320 GB Scorpio and everything went great as far as I can tell. The only thing I had to do was re-authorize the computer for my iTunes account. Other than that it was quick and easy to get me right back up and running.

5. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

/var/spool/postfix/maildrop goes missing when restoring from Time Machine.