Time Machine Restore

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Cap41, Dec 11, 2008.

1. Cap41 macrumors 6502

Sorry for probably a dumb question.. I have backed everything up on TimeMAchine...If I were to have an issue were i wanted to go back to a certain date. how to i restore the info...

If my HD crashed and had to be formated, how would i restore from TM

thx

2. themoonisdown09 macrumors 601

themoonisdown09

When you have the Leopard disk in and restart, it will ask if you want to restore using a Time Machine backup. I haven't done it, so I don't know if it asks you what day you want to restore from.

3. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

You can do a complete restore from Time Machine or you can just migrate over your user account(s) if you want a cleaner install. You'll still have to make a complete backup again afterward.

4. Cap41 thread starter macrumors 6502

I understand you can do a complete reinstall from TM...but i don't see the option available. Does anyone know the process.

5. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

themoonisdown09 already made mention of being booted off of the Leopard disc. The option to restore from Time Machine or migrate users from Time Machine are there.

6. rww22 macrumors newbie

7. jaw04005 macrumors 601

jaw04005

You're screwed. Why don't you have the disc?

8. BobZune macrumors 6502a

Either at the end of the install, you'll be asked if you want to migrate data over from another mac/time machine. Select appropriately.

If you have skipped it, you can start Migration Assistant from Applications -- Utilities and do the restore from time machine.

You can't "go to a certain date" in the sense you select a snapshot date - but you can go to the *latest* version you backed up.

9. trainguy77 macrumors 68040

Its in the dropdown menus before you even start the actual install.